- Special Sections
- Public Notices
By Larry Chambers
INDEPENDENCE – Several more sealed indictments have been opened after being handed down by a Grayson County Circuit Court grand jury that met Jan. 27 in Independence. The sealed indictments involved 17 charges against nine suspects.
An indictment indicates that a grand jury found sufficient evidence for a case to go to trial, and does not indicate guilt. All of those indicted are innocent until proven guilty.
Included in the indictments were charges against Michael Dwayne Wroten of Galax. Indictments against Wroten include two counts for rape of a child less than 13 years old; sodomy with a child less than 13 years old; and object sexual penetration.
Wroten was arrested Feb. 3 by Detective Aaron Criner of the Galax Police Department.
“The charges were the result of an investigation involving a minor child, conducted by Criner in partnership with the Galax Department of Social Services,” said Clark in an earlier interview with the newspaper.
Other indictments included:
• Houston Linnie Vaughan, who is a prisoner at the New River Valley Regional Jail (NRVRJ) in Dublin, was indicted for possession of a Schedule II controlled substance (methamphetamine); possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a violent felony; possession of ammunition for a firearm after having been convicted of a felony; possession of a firearm while also possessing a schedule II controlled substance.
• Johnny Walter Hubbard III, conspiracy for the sale, gift or distribution of a schedule II controlled substance.
• Timothy Lee Hampton, (NRVRJ), operating without a business license – 3rd offense.
• Dale Glen Grimes, Independence, two counts of the sale, gift or distribution of a schedule II controlled substance (hydrocodone, acetaminophen).
• Kenneth Grant Burton, Galax, statutory burglary in the night time.
• Mickey Omar Moxley, Galax, statutory burglary in the night time.
• Tommy Lee Pugh, NRVRJ, sale, gift or distribution of a schedule II controlled substance (methamphetamine).
• Joe Louis Brown Jr., Independence, sale, gift or distribution of a scheduled II controlled substance (oxycodone, acetaminophen).
• Dora Samantha Houk, possession of a schedule II controlled substance (methamphetamine).